(I am back and we have some things to discuss. Can't... control.... anger!"

Tuesday, July 12, 2005

An open apology - and a challenge

Normally frivolous shit pisses me off - I have a doozy about people trying to exit the highway - but that is for another day.

Today I need to discuss something *deadly* serious. I want to write an apology to the people who lost loved ones in the Murrah Federal building during the Oklahoma City bombing. I realize that the person that perpetrated this heinous crime was a white male and so am I. I think it is important to point out that just because Timothy McVeigh (who is fucking dead) and I are both white and American it does NOT mean that I condoned the bombing or helped him plan or execute the attack. It is just a coincidence. Oh, and he is fucking crazy and I am not.

But I think it is my duty to come out and condemn the actions of my fellow white male and state emphatically that it was wrong and terrible. And I am not currently - nor will I *ever* harbor people like this or hide them from from our government or other governments that seek to extradite them.

I think when people of our race/faith do something that is awful it reflects on us all. But instead of whining that I am not a baby murdering, bomb-strapping psycho - and that I am just being stereo-typed I am taking the time to
(1) Apologize
(2) State unequivocally that I did not and do not know the whereabouts of anyone who has plans to incinerate innocent civilians.
(3) Condemn the actions of a non-associated radical vehemently

I think every White male American should visit my blog and attest to (1), (2) and (3). That will set an example that this is the correct course of action. Incorrect choices would be to hide individuals that were involved, feel pride secretly or in public displays, not leverage your racial/religious similarities to help find the perpetrators and bring them to justice.

I will leave this open for white males. Once I have all 101,000,000 signatures.... Well, Muslim World.... you're on the clock.

10 Comments:

Blogger Johnny Virgil said...

Not sure what to say. You're exactly right.

10:33 PM

 
Blogger John said...

Here's #1 of 101,000,000

(1) I Apologize for every crazy white american male psychopath
(2) I did not and do not know the whereabouts of any one of these morons who has plans to incinerate innocent civilians.
(3) I condemn the actions of Timothy McVeigh, Ted Kaczynski, and any other psycho fuck white American male pussy that tries any similar stunt

10:33 PM

 
Blogger John said...

dammit virgil I was #1

10:34 PM

 
Blogger Gordon said...

Agreed on all counts. I can't even add anything to that.

Well done.

11:28 PM

 
Blogger Derek Bronish said...

Actually, I totally DISagree here. I know, I'm fired now. But I think it's inappropriate to condone the association of race/gender/religion/anything else with the irrational actions of a single subset of people. True, MILITANT Islam is terrible, bears the blame for 9/11 and a ton of other horrific stuff, and should be confronted in an all-out war rather than a sludge pit like we're currently mired in. And as you point out, to blame terrorism on any old muslim would be equivalent to blaming Oklahoma City on any old white guy. This is an apt analogy. However, acting on it based on feelings of guilt and anger is a huge error (or abandonment) of reasoning. You shouldn't have to apologize when the KKK burns a church, you shouldn't have to apologize for slavery (or pay repairations), and you certainly shouldn't have to apologize for a lunatic's act of terrorism. Why, then, should muslims? If I were a muslim, I would do everything possible to avoid associating myself with terrorism or even pointing out the possiblity of association, which is exactly what outspoken apologism does. Apologizing for an action means that you bear some responsibility for it. You're not responsible for oklahoma city, non-militant muslims are not responsible for 9/11, so it's irrational for either to apologize.

3:11 PM

 
Blogger Scott said...

Derek - I actually agree with you. An apology is totally not needed - it does, in fact, send the wrong message. However, I think (2) and (3) are toally reasonable.

The Muslim community is an active (not a passive one - [see riots after alleged touching of Koran to toilet]) and to have no public outrage after an incident of terrorism seems like tacit approval. For example - Salman Rushdie* wrote a book. Just a bunch of words - some of them about the prophet Muhammad. This prompted most of the Arab world to openly protest - burning his book in the streets. At least 17 people were killed in rioting and demonstrations. Additioanly the Ayatollah declared a fatwa on Rushdie*. Rushdie had to die forspeaking out against Muhammad and for abandoning his faith (so quitting Islam is grounds for termination). When Osama bin Laden blew up 3,000+ people (or planned, finanaced those actions) there were exactly 0 fatwas**. Muslims should have said - this psycho has abondoned what we stand for therefore we call for a fatwa. But they didn't - I think at minimum this says they don't condemn Osama or his actions.

I don't need to appoligize for the KKK, but I will, "sorry". But if I find out my neighbor lynched some guy - you can bet your ass I will blow the whistle on him. I think that is what is missing - the Islamic community has the ability and maybe responsibility to police itself and it doesn't seem to be doing it.


** In 2005 after the train bombings in Madrid, Spanish Muslims did declare a fatwa on Osama. I applaud them and I hope that I am able to assist them some day.

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rushdie

4:07 PM

 
Blogger Johnny Virgil said...

Most apologies on behalf of someone are an attempt to disassociate yourself from that person or group. So yeah, maybe 'apologize' is the wrong word.

6:15 PM

 
Blogger John said...

I disagree. Apology doesn't have to mean you're associated or part of the cause. I mean I guess apology in the dictionary does but people use sorry to convey sympathy and to show support of the person being apologized to. You know like sorry my brother fucked your mom.

Also Derek, it's nice that you live in a dreamy ideal fairyland where race/religion/gender have no bearing on anything.

10:14 PM

 
Blogger Derek Bronish said...

Yes SOME muslims may have the ABILITY to help more in the prevention of terror, and to "police themselves." I agree that since they have this ability, they should use it. The only thing I take issue with is the idea that every muslim should be living up to this obligation of apologizing and denouncing (and thus ackowledging) the reprehensible actions of completely distinct individuals.

And about the fairyland...um...your mom! Seriously, though, I know that I don't live in a utopia, and I never expect to (I only use them as a rhetorical device), but what's the harm in practicing a mindset that could possibly lead to one? Maybe I should be more "practical," but to me, abandoning one's intellectual values (which "practicality" amounts to) is the antithesis of practicality.

I'm just glad to have gotten everybody thinking/debating a little. Keep up the political posts, Scott.

9:58 AM

 
Blogger Sarah said...

Dammit, Derek-what have you done to this blog? You have a different version of the Midas touch--everything you touch turns to political debate.

Let's bring this blog back to toofs and bathroom talk, boys.

9:09 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home