(I am back and we have some things to discuss. Can't... control.... anger!"

Thursday, July 14, 2005

My own socialogical experiment

I have this group of friends that has been together since about 9th grade. There were 6 of us (one guy kind of moved on) but we still think of ourselves as "The 6". Anyway, the guy that moved on, we'll call him Grub (his actual nickname) and I decided to do some socilogical testing in highschool. We had some arguement about gender inequality with one of our female teachers (I have no recollection of which side of the arguement I was on or what it even was). Well, to prove a point, the next day Grub and I wore skirts to school. I have to say, I have nice legs - so I made it work. We basically got harassed - but it was funny to do.

A few years later it was a similar cast - but the argument was about HIV/AIDS. One of our classmates said he wouldn't give mouth to mouth to someone in need, for fear of catching AIDS (he ammended this by saying if they were bleeding). So this open a discussion about people with HIV/AIDS having some kind of identification - to "protect" and inform the rest of the population. This argument became hugely heated, the teacher and several girls were yelling at how sick and draconian this idea was. We argued, that in the abstract, it made sense for the good of the masses (again I don't recall the entire argument - it was 13 years ago). So the next day Grub and I show up to school with 8" x 5" signs that read, in large letters, "I am HIV positive". I cannot even explain how fucked up a feeling it is to have EVERYONE stare at you. We purposely walked through the middle school and several other areas. Many kids laughed, some moved out of the way. [whispers - is that true?] It was interesting to watch their faces as they turned - they'd be in the middle of something funny, turn and you could see their face change as they read and absorbed the message.

Anyway, we did it for the whole day - and it was really hard. I am not sure if it proved anything or if it was beneficial but it was eye opening.

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I'm not sure how I feel about this softer side of Scott.

6:13 PM

 
Blogger John said...

I once wore only a speedo and a bra to my high school. It's been at least a year or more since I did that. Man the cops around here don't have a very good sense of humor.

11:17 PM

 
Blogger Derek Bronish said...

forcing HIV-positive people to wear identification? You know, the nazis had pieces of flair...that they made the jews wear.

seriously though forced identification is like the craziest worst idea ever if you're a crazy-freedom guy like me.

9:11 AM

 
Blogger Sarah said...

Hey-the DMV forces me to identify myself as someone who needs corrective lenses on my license! This is bullshit.

9:39 AM

 
Blogger kris said...

Interesting experiment . . . try the one where you get into the elevator and stand facing everyone. People will try to crawl through the ceiling.

10:33 AM

 
Blogger Shamus O'Drunkahan said...

I could never wear a skirt. Or a kilt, which is really also a skirt, despite what the Irish and Scottish would like to think.

3:27 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home