(I am back and we have some things to discuss. Can't... control.... anger!"

Friday, January 28, 2005

Heroes

Not a lot makes me cry. Here are 5 things I can remember making me cry in the past few years
(1) Hearing my wife in pain when my kid was born
(2) The movie "Homeward Bound" (I cry everytime - fuck you - I am too a man)
(3) Watching footage of the Challenger blowing up (especially if there is music)
(4) When jets fly over during the National Anthem
(5) On 9/11 when I got an Email from my sister-in-law saying simply that she and her sister were still alive.

I'll exbound on a few.
(3) Something about the Challenger hit me hard. I think it was some kind of slap in the face that bad things can happen. Every time I watch the footage I am screaming in my head - no please not again - please let it make it this time. Then I see that distinct smoke trail and it is done - they are gone.
(4) America is so fucking bad ass - and the National Anthem gets me so fired up (I will have a post on this). And jets get me even more fired up - "America Fuch Yeah!!!" Anyway the combination is too much for me to take.
(5) On 9/11 I remember trying to go to the Internet and it was slow. I even yelled at our Internet guy (a move that I regret to this day in hindsight). My coworker listens to Howard Stern at his desk and he was giving us the play-by-play but I assumed that it was a small plane etc. Then he said the tower fell and I was all, "No way - you mean the top fell of right?" You were there - I don't need to tell you. So I am pretty dazed. And I get an Email from my sister-in-law (who lives in NYC) - it is very brief (I am getting goose bumps thinking about it) but it says she and her boyfirend are alive and fine and her sister and brother-in-law are okay too. They are all together and everyone is OKAY!! Do you get it - my fucking family could ahve been dead!!! At this point I call my wife and tell her the news - she totally breaks down on the phone and I tell her that I love her and get off the phone (hey National Emergency or no I hate the phone). At this point we are told that we can leave. I walked to my car with Mufflet and we talked a bit - she made me feel better and it was nice to have a friend at that moment (thanks Mufflet). When we both got home we paged each other and that made me feel good too. I made it through the day and several days following - fortunately no one I knew died... Or so I thought. A few days later I got an Email letting me know that Alicia, my dear friend from college, lost her brother. He worked for Canter Fitzgerald (which was irradicated). My wife and I drove to NY for the funeral. It was awful - just fucking awful. The widow was 8 months pregnant and had to be carried down the aisle as she could not support her sobbing body.

Well - this post went in a direction that makes the title not make sense - but I am leaving it there. Oh and FUCK YOU terrorists - we will fucking hunt you down and fucking kill you, you pathetic cave-dwelling fucks.

7 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

You cry at Homeward Bound? Pussy. Oh wait-I might have missed the point of your post. This was very touching and still angry at the same time. Well done. 9/11 was hard for everyone. And that was 3,000 people. The tsunami took about 300,000 people (150,000 dead; 150,000 missing). Holy effing shit.

10:19 AM

 
Blogger Torrence said...

Get em kid! YEAH FUCK YOU FUCKERS, YOU FUCKING FUCKS!
There, I feel much better about my day already.

10:23 AM

 
Blogger Scott said...

Ironically (I did not realize this until just now) - today is the 19th anniversary of the Challenger exploding.

10:26 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Diane: Good post. I like the last part. I think that is one of the reasons I like 24 so much. Besides the fact that it is the most intense hour of TV every week and that Jack Bauer effing rules everything, we get to see effing terrorists be killed by Jack and the military. Seriously, how good was this week's episode!!!!!!!!

1:07 PM

 
Blogger danielle said...

hey, i was thinkin about our 9/11 walk like a month ago. i felt really safe to have you to walk with because it was effing scary and i figured you could've totally protected me from anything. nice.

1:47 PM

 
Blogger Carly said...

I still get sad when I see a plane go overhead - I posted about that one day.

If you want, next time you at 22CWB, I will bring you to the 9/11 exhibit at the NY State museum. (It's a permanent exhibit. I think everyone should see it.)

I was with Shamus when I heard(via an email from Julia and we went to CNN's site and they had a picture of where the 1st one had hit; we were counting floors). I will always remember that as part of the day's events.

7:13 PM

 
Blogger Sarah said...

I was on the phone with one of my bestest friends who lives in NYC when the first plane hit. Thank GOD I was because after that I couldn't reach him all day until 11pm, and if I hadn't have known that he was okay, I would've lost my mind. He lost one of his closest friends who worked in the WTC. His name was Paul, and he and his manager were too busy helping people get out of the building to get out in time themselves. I wish I could tell Jack Bauer this story to get him more pissed. I need Keifer Sutherland yelling at all times.

11:32 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home