(I am back and we have some things to discuss. Can't... control.... anger!"

Friday, January 21, 2005

Seduction of the Innocent

Cultural psychiatrist Fredrc Wertheim linked juvenile deliquency to comic books, in his 1954 book, Seduction of the Innocent! His book lead to Senate hearings and the establichment of the Comics Code of Authority (if you know Derek he'd be shitting his pants right now).

Fast forward 45 years and the same shitty logic is being applied to video games. Man I get pissed when some asshole shoots up his school and the people are always like, "well he did play video games and listen to the rock music." Are you kidding me? Are you fucking kidding me? If there were any remote correlation between rock music, video games and violence - you'd be dead. I would have had to personally kill you. I have played the most violent video games imaginable since age 10 and I have listened to TOOL since the early 90's (I am listen to them right now).

You know how they give a rat 14,000 times the amount of asbestos that a human might get - and then they see if he gets cancer? Well that's me - I am the extreme test case. I listen to TOOL like 9 hours a day and kill shit on my PC or XBOX almost every night. I should be blasting everything in sight.

The media is so quick to jump on games and music and COMICS! Maybe they should look in the mirror. What would inspire a kid to want to kill more - we'll use a scenario. You're a 16 year old dork - we'll call you "Scott". You spend a lot of time blowing things up and playing video games. One day you think, "how can I become famous." Well weight lifting is out - and high jump is not going to happen - hmmmm let me see... Let's see if these 2 names mean anything to you - Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold. Yep you know em - they shot up there whole school and some genius (after saying each of their names 50 times) says, "Well Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold played violent video games. Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold listened to rock music. Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold were social outcasts." Hey asshole - STOP saying their names. You are giving free advertising time to fucking murderers and letting other kids know - if your life sucks and you want to go out in a blaze of glory - you can be sure the American media will say your name - LOTS. Oh and they'll mention that you played video games too. God dammit.

Oh and back to the video game thing - like 127% of boys play video games. So having a killer play games is not a cause and effect relationship. I am sure you could do a similar "study" and find that 97% of school shooters eat Pop-Tarts. It must be the Pop-Tarts!!!

Listen - lay of the fucking video games. If this planet is invaded by aliens - who is going to jump into 60 foot tall, armored robots and defend you?? Huh? you Dan Rather? You Katie Couric? I fucking think not - that'll be my ass blasting aliens and saving your life. So lay off my games bitch.


7 Comments:

Blogger John said...

That post was one "I'll smack you in the mouth" away from being the perfect post.

11:29 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have actually read that playing video games is a HEALTHY outlet for the agression that teenage boys have in abundance. Something like playing Cowboys and Indians, (which is SO politically incorrect) they get to chase down the enemy.

12:38 PM

 
Blogger Johnny Virgil said...

Frank Zappa once said something to the effect of, "There's more love songs than songs of any other type sold or on the radio. If a type of music people listened to could cause them to act in a particular way, we'd all love one another."

1:04 PM

 
Blogger Sarah said...

When a kid does something wrong, parents want to place the blame everywhere else except themselves. It's sad.

4:11 PM

 
Blogger John said...

My kid pooped in his pants. I blame Kid Rock.

5:00 PM

 
Blogger Sarah said...

Well, you might actually have an argument there.

9:29 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Diane: I agree with your post...however, if you say anything else about Katie Couric I will seriously take you down with my machine gun.

11:20 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home