(I am back and we have some things to discuss. Can't... control.... anger!"

Thursday, February 16, 2006

Thank you.

Here's the deal - I am in a support role at work. I fix things for people or help them in various ways. My life goal is to get every single Email out of my Inbox by addressing the issue and then removing the message. I like to watch the count go down as a I address more and more issues throughout the day. When I do something for someone I generally write them a short Email "This is fixed", "I addressed this issue by deleting that file" etc. Then I get rid of their request from my Inbox - hooray for me 1 message closer to nirvana.

But sometimes the people write back, "Thank you". NO! Do not thank me! The way you can thank me is by not littering my fucking Inbox with worthless Emails thanking me. My reward is never hearing from you again - ever! Please don't thank me. Deleting your message was all the reward I needed.

9 Comments:

Blogger Other Brother said...

You should add this line to your signature - "Although the problem is now fixed, replying to this e-mail will cause the problem to come back on you 10 fold. Please DO NOT THANK ME. Feel free to leave money at my desk."

2:45 PM

 
Blogger Jacq said...

Cool response. Can I use that? heh heh

You tell'em Scott! Give'em hell!

3:38 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

This is good to know because I never know if I should thank our IT support guy via email. I'll thank him verbally when I see him instead. This was such an educational post.


(my verification word: dogarsh)

4:37 PM

 
Blogger Sarah said...

I am a serial "Thank You"-er. I will never stop despite this post. If I don't say thank you after someone has fixed something for me, it will haunt me the rest of the day. Literally I will feel uncomfortable and agitated and will not be able to calm down until I send a "Thank You" email. So get over it is pretty much what I'm saying. Also I decided this is a highly irrational reaction to someone being polite. Crabby pants.

5:14 PM

 
Blogger Johnny Virgil said...

I would like to extend this philosophy to IM conversations. We can all do without the TY and the NP. I'm just sayin.

10:12 PM

 
Blogger John said...

Scott and Virgil are morons. Everyone likes to hear or read thank you. If you forego the ty, and np in a sametime, the person performing the task will inevitably be pissed and think twice about helping you next time, including Scott and JV..... you douches.

11:15 PM

 
Blogger Johnny Virgil said...

Can't we just assume it's there? I mean, I'm always glad to help, and I'm pretty sure the person I'm helping is thankful for the help. But I can sorta see your point. How about this? If you can't do the "thanks" and "no problem" within the same conversation, say, within 3 seconds of each other, then just forget it. That way an extraneous "thanks" doesn't just pop up 3 hours later with no context. That makes me have to think, and I hate that.

10:50 AM

 
Blogger Carly said...

I try to include the thanks in the same part of the message where I'm asking for what I want.

And, SLC, the best way to thank IT people is chocolate, or homemade cheesecake. (It works for me, at least... the people that I always go to and say "help" have never kicked me out.)

6:40 PM

 
Blogger tfg said...

I'm the same way, your silence is thanks enough.

8:05 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home