(I am back and we have some things to discuss. Can't... control.... anger!"

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Conspicuous consumption

Nothing on earth pisses me off more than conspicuous consumption (cc). I think it is the most pointless, selfish, self destructive behavior in man. "I can't afford to raise my kids - but I am going to buy a Navigator." Spending outside your means is stupid - but doing so for the "benefit" of others is retarded.

Here is a simple test. Your car has wrappers and junk inside - and is also dirty on the outside. You only have time to clean the inside or go to the car wash - not both - which do you do? If you clean the outside you may be headed down the path of caring more about what other people think about you than your own safety/comfort. I couldn't give a shit about washing my car - EVER! It is retarded - what the fuck is the point? I don't give a flying fuck what people think about me, my car or its external cleanliness. I want a car that I fit in and has AM/FM/CD and AC. I don't need any "bling" - Jesus H Christ - the word "bling" exists because cc is so fucking rampant that we need an easy way to describe some absolutely ridiculous shit that you don't need. A $6 purse from WalMart will hold your lipstick, money and tampons - WHY IN THE HELL would you buy essentially the same thing, but with some fucking guy's initials on it for $400?? Why? What the fuck is wrong with society? If my wife comes home with a Lois Viton (I won't even bother to look up how to spell that) hand bag. I will do 2 things (1) Punch her directly in the face (2) return it.

When you buy something the last thing you should think is, "what will **** think of this." You misguided douche - you should buy the thing that fits, tastes, drives the best [period]. Buying shit you can't afford to impress other people is stupid and you can confirm this stupidity by looking at your credit card bill.

If cc didn't exist kids could focus on learning and saving money - not wasting everything to impress the other uneducated assholes around them. If you have a mortgage, child support, alimony, credit card debt you should NOT be in a Navigator - you can't fucking afford it! Do you get that? You live pay check to pay check so that your buddies will think you have a nice ride. Then they go buy a better one and then someone else buys a better one - you all can't afford it - but you keep one upping each other until someone has to be broke or break the law to keep up.

Stupid, stupid, stupid fucking assholes. God dammit cc pisses me off so bad. I have never written about it - because I was afraid I wouldn't be able to capture in words how fucking stupid I think it is. If you ever see me in person you will know cc is not my deal. I drive a functioning, but not very clean car, I live in a house that every square inch is useable (no weird peaks or points to make it look bigger - but not actually provide living space). My clothes are adequate to cover me but have no designer names (or signs of ironing). My kids clothes and shoes are mostly from garage sales - or the bargain bin. WHY - Why the fuck would you spend more than $5 on kids shoes?? They outgrow them and get them dirty immediately. Why would you pay any more than $5 for them - you misguided cc fools. I get my hair cut at Best Cuts - whenever I get around to it. My TV, stereo, computers were all bought when I needed them to suit my purposes and fit my lifestyle.

This went from angry into some weird sort of self-affirmation. Anyway cc is so fucking stupid that I can't stand it - that is the point.

14 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Please forgive me for being a conspicuous consumer...but god-damn I love my designer purses.

3:07 PM

 
Blogger Carly said...

Holy crap! What a rant! Head to Starbucks or something to get a latte and calm down.

But seriously... one reason I'm very happy my kids wear uniforms to school is that one outfit at "limited too" cost $75 and I won't do it. It's so nice to say "just put your uniform on".

PS: Do I count as a CC if my only designer purse was given to me by my sister? It's not even a purse really...but I do love my coach bag.... there is NOTHING you love this much? Golf clubs? power tools? Nothing???

4:11 PM

 
Blogger tfg said...

Nice. I can count on one hand how many times I've washed a vehicle that I've owned.

7:11 PM

 
Blogger Johnny Virgil said...

don't hold back, man.

4:57 AM

 
Blogger Sarah said...

When I buy something that's too expensive it's never because I want to impress other people. It's because I really, really like it and want it. The problem for me is I really, really like and want everything.

P.S. You are extra angry today. Are you listening to Tool?

9:12 AM

 
Blogger Beck said...

Welcome back, Angry Scott.

10:47 AM

 
Blogger Shamus O'Drunkahan said...

Is this because you didn't win the 50 inch tv last week? Man, I had a spot for that thing all picked out.

1:02 PM

 
Blogger John said...

this is awesome. I would have commented sooner but my internet service got turned off because I needed that money to make this month's payment on my Escalade with 21" Spinners.

12:49 AM

 
Blogger Derek Bronish said...

Well said. Hey...when's the next time you're going to have everybody over to watch a movie on your ridiculously sweet home theater?

ZING!

Seriously, though, I kid because I love.

P.S.
I just got a new cellphone:
http://www.sonyericsson.com/spg.jsp?cc=us&lc=en&ver=4000&template=pp1_loader&php=PHP1_10296&zone=pp&lm=pp1&pid=10296

And a new laptop:
http://www.apple.com/macbookpro

And have you seen my iPod? I'll come over and show you sometime. I'll be sure to wear my Clark Wallabees (http://www.clarksusa.com/product/Detail.aspx?prodId=258&Level1=M&scroll=0&page=1&Level2=6) so that my feet don't get wet.

5:26 PM

 
Blogger danielle said...

well said. i haven't posted on this yet either because the mood to be literally precise hasn't hit yet.

2:48 PM

 
Blogger Jacq said...

GOD! I am so HAPPY to hear someone else express openly the things I agree with.

Well said. Sorry I've been absent from your blog. Interesting stuff. I'd better catch up with my reading.

2:17 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What about a seriously tricked-out, custom-made watch given as a gift? Bling? Definitely. But is it CC?

6:35 PM

 
Blogger miriam sawyer said...

I have my car washed when I can't see out the windows any more.

9:31 PM

 
Blogger Jacq said...

OMG Miriam, that's when I wash mine, too!!!!

9:07 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home