(I am back and we have some things to discuss. Can't... control.... anger!"

Wednesday, April 06, 2005

My Thought

So I have this burning question - it has been bothering me for months now. It is approaching the level of my ultimate unanswered question, "What is the deal with Canadian Thanksgiving?" I mean did they have Pilgrims and Indians too? Shamus is Canadian - but they are very tight lipped about the whole thing. Anyway my question is this, "How do new sign language signs get spread to all of the deaf people?"

Like say there is a new invention called Jusskins. The word doesn't exists - but at some point deaf people will have a sign for it. They will all have the same sign. How is the sign determined? Who passes it around? Why isn't it like the telephone game - where it gets all fucked up as it is passed from person to person. Do they have a show/website that they can look at, "Here are all of the new signs for this week. Schiavo... tsunami... " I am totally baffled. I mean I figure out how to say Jusskins because I can hear the f'ing commercial - but how do they learn the sign? It is killing me!!

Also, if I can learn how this passing of knowledge happens I could use it to make signs for hearing folks. Like when you are walking directly at someone and you get that weird little dance as you try to avoid each other. There could be a sign that means, "everyone go to their left" Then the collision would be avoided. Or a sign that means - don't hold the elevator, I am going to turn towards the bathrooms. Those would be really useful.

5 Comments:

Blogger Johnny Virgil said...

this is great. I think that sign about "I'm heading toward the bathroom" already exists. It's the same one scuba divers use to tell their dive partner "I have to surface to take a crap." Put your hand out like you are holding a baby bird. Now make a quick dumping motion. That's the one.

7:09 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is great. I think that sign about "I'm heading toward the bathroom" already exists. It's the same one scuba divers use to tell their dive partner "I have to surface to take a crap." Put your hand out like you are holding a baby bird. Now make a quick dumping motion. ht by trained professionals to give you an advantage in the marketplace.

7:10 AM

 
Blogger Johnny Virgil said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:10 AM

 
Blogger Sarah said...

The bathroom one is easy-just point to your butt or yell out, "I have to take a crap!" I never wondered about how new signs get spread around to the deaf community, but now I am. This is an amazing question.

Um, did you get blog-spammed by someone who just used JV's comment and added their sales pitch? Is that what that is? Because if so, that is awesome because the spammer totally talked about pooping before he tried to sell you something. If not and that was all Johnny V. it's still kind of awesome.

8:33 AM

 
Blogger Erik with a K said...

this is great. I think that sign about "I'm heading toward the bathroom" already exists. It's the same one scuba divers use to tell their dive partner "I have to surface to take a crap." Put your hand out like you are holding a baby bird. Now make a quick dumping motion. That's the one.

11:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home